Heart-Healthy Dark-Chocolate Recipe enfused with Olive Oil
Olive oil enriched dark ‘chocolate’ has heart benefits.
Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Cookies Ingredients
(12 cookies) :
• 200g wholegrain spelt flour
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 75ml good-quality olive oil
• 3 tbsp honey
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 teaspoon natural vanilla
• 70g dark chocolate (we use 85-90% dark chocolate), chopped into chunks
Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Instructions
• Heat the oven to 180°C/360°F/gas 4 and line an oven tray with baking paper.
• In a small bowl, mix together the flour, soda, and salt, and set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk the oil and honey until combined. Add the egg, whisk well until smooth, then add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
• Place even-sized spoonfuls of the dough onto the baking tray (the mixture will be quite wet and sticky), leaving space between each as they will spread as they cook.
• Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and firm up a little before serving.
• For a slightly chewier, chunkier cookie, replace 50-100g of the flour with whole oats.
• A handful of chopped almonds or hazelnuts is a nice addition. Add them with the chocolate chunks.
Resource – http://www.eatwiseuk.com/chocolate-chip-olive-oil-cookies/
Inspiration – Extra virgin olive oil and apples enriched-dark chocolate consumption and endothelial function: a randomized crossover trial in patients with cardiovascular risk factors
Researcher – European Heart Journal